Calgary Newborn Photographers
The newborn stage in your child’s life is so fleeting, you will forever look back at your newborn photography session and remember this brief and emotional time.
Newborn photography is a very specialized. Christina and Nathan have been working together as Calgary Newborn Photographers for over a decade. We focus of posed imaged that have a more natural and real style, mixing natural poses with candid imagery.
15 years ago, we were one of the studios in town to pioneer a more natural family photography style. It was actually Christina shooting solo then, working exclusively as a family photographer before she joined Nathan and started shooting weddings.
Families instantly connected to this more natural style, which at the time was coined as lifestyle photography. This type of photography is done mostly outside of a studio, it can be in your home, or at a location of your choice. As Calgary newborn photographers, we believe that the sessions are best done in your home. This will provide your little one with the most comfort.
We believe the natural images will be timeless, and photos that you can look back on for your whole life, remembering exactly what it felt like to become a mom, a dad, or to grow your family. We also want to capture some beautiful portraits that are posed but still feel relaxed.
If you would like to see an example of a full session, check out this Calgary Newborn Photography blog post.
- We take a limited number of newborn photography commissions each month. Reserve your spot with a $200 deposit. We take this deposit via email transfer, or cheque.
- We will send you some tips and answer any questions you may have to help you prepare for the session. We can do this on the phone or email, which ever works best for you.
- We connect after baby is born and set a session in the first 10-14 days. Some parents prefer for us to come a little later, and that is no problem at all.
- This session lasts for 2.5 hours, leaving lots of time for feedings and to work at a relaxed pace. We will create a portfolio filled with variety and include all the members of your immediate family. We have two photographers at your house, using different lenses and assisting each other. This is also perfect for families with siblings, because we can take different photos and give the siblings some special time of their own.
- Following the session you will receive 80+ images. These will be all individually edited.
- You will schedule an optional meeting to view your photos in our home studio, and select fine art prints or albums. Your files will also be delivered via digital download at a 12×8 size.
- You will be added to our VIP list, which includes the first chance to book family pop ups (mini sessions) in the future.
Contact us to book your session today!
Newborn Photographer – FAQ
When do we book?
We take a limited number of commissions a month, so booking in advance is a great idea, however, you can always send us an email to check our availability. The newborn photography session itself should be booked in the first two weeks if you want a really sleepy and snuggled up baby, but often some parents need a little extra time, or prefer to do it a little later when the baby is more alert.
How do we prepare?
You don’t need to do much to prepare for the session. We suggest you take a few minutes to collect anything you would like in the photos. This might be a special blanket knitted by a relative, headbands, or stuffed animals. We will help you sort through it when we arrive.
The newborn should be kept warm and comfortable. I would turn up the heat in the house a few extra degrees. If you have an electric heater or would like us to bring one, you can always request that!
Select 2-3 areas of rooms with lots of natural light, that way you can keep the cleaning and house prep to a minimum.
What should the baby wear?
We suggest you keep it very simple for newborn photos. We will do a large portion of the newborn photography session with your little one in a diaper. We bring diaper covers, or if you have one you can also set it aside. Sleepers, and onesies are also great for these sessions. We typically have time for 1-2 outfit changes, so if you have a novelty outfit, such as a jersey, we can also add that in.
Can pets and siblings be in the photos?
Yes Please! We love capturing a large variety of photos in the sessions. We are not taking 5-10 images of a posed baby, instead this is a 360 degree view of your life with a newborn.